Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Kamatis na Ligaw


Translated from Tagalog as "Wild Tomato", the name suggests a landrace variety. I grew only one plant this year so I can't vouch for its stability but it does appear to be an improved variety. The plant itself is very large with large regular shaped leaves. Like most Filipino varieties, it is a hardy plant that does well in heat and has a dual tolerance to dry conditions and wet feet although, like all tomatoes (that I know of) it does best in slightly damp, well drained soil. I was half expecting a rather acidic flavor after finding that Angeles City Native, Gapan Native and Native were all very acidic. Kamatis na Ligaw breaks from this mold; it has a very balanced, slightly spicy flavor. I tried it by itself and then with salt and finally with fresh basil and mozzarella as bruschetta. It was very enjoyable and with a nice even balance of gel to flesh, it is a nice tomato for all purposes. From the Philippines.

2 comments:

  1. what generation from the wild is your seed lot?
    who collected the wild seed ? this fruit looks nothing like
    the collection from the wild we have at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't speak for what generation the seeds are from. My source was GRIN. I have a strong feeling that this, like many Filipino tomatoes, is a landrace variety that is not quite stable.

      Delete