Saturday, August 11, 2012

VC-11


   VC-11 was my first ripe tomato of the year. This variety is mentioned in several publications of the Asian Vegetable Research and Development Center, notably by the Filipino agricultural researcher Ruben L. Villareal who, as far as I can tell, is a big deal in Southeast Asian agriculture. I e-stalked him  to a higher education institution and asked a secretary to forward an email to him but I wouldn't be surprised if he thought I was a lunatic for asking about some obscure cultivar he may or may not have developed in the 1970's. In any event, this is a fun plant to grow. Smallish growth habit and a fairly heavy fruitset of round red fruits that are a nice balance of acid and sweetness. Most early tomatoes are bland but this one is very flavorful. About the same size as Stupice, that other early tomato, but much tastier.From the Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment